Round Seven in review


We take a look at a breathtaking Round Seven of the Hyundai A-League.

We take a look at a breathtaking Round Seven of the Hyundai A-League.

Brisbane Roar 3-1 Western Sydney Wanderers
Brisbane Roar look in ominously good touch and they returned to the top of the league with a 3-1 over Western Sydney Wanderers.

It was a top of the table clash and the two sides put on a show worthy of the occasion. Roar welcomed Matt McKay, Ivan Franjic and Besart Berisha back into their side and it made a difference as early as the 5th minute. Berisha-s slaloming run left the Wanderers defence without answers and he slotted home accurately to give his side the lead.

The Wanderers edged possession but they went further behind when Franjic scored a wonderful volley from outside the area. Not even a quarter of the match had passed. Wanderers showed heart and they pulled one back when Brendon Santalab took advantage of some sloppy passing from the Roar. His finish was subtle, dinking the ball over the advancing Michael Theo.

Wanderers pushed hard in the second half but their hopes were dashed in stoppage time, when Roar substitute Kwame Yeboah lashed home a fierce strike to kill the game off and confirm the Roar-s return to the summit of the table.

Sydney FC 2-1 Wellington Phoenix
Sydney FC overcame the ill-discipline of Pedj Bojic to record a third win on the bounce, in a frenetic final few moments against the Wellington Phoenix. Frank Farina made only one change to the squad, bringing new signing Ranko Despotovic on to the bench and it was a move that paid dividends.

Phoenix showed their intent with a shot from a rejuvenated Carlos Hernandez inside the opening few seconds. But, despite the visitors making most of the early headway, Sydney FC took the lead ten minutes before the break. Richard Garcia was the scorer and it was a thunderbolt from distance that flew past Glen Moss and clipped the bar before nestling in the back of the net.

Farina-s side were reduced to ten men when Bojic was given a second yellow in the 73rd minute. A reshuffle saw Sebastian Ryall end up at right back, with Matthew Jurman coming on. The home side looked to have held on but in stoppage time, Kenny Cunningham stole in at the near post to score the equaliser.

There was more drama to come though. Good work from Terry McFlynn and Brett Emerton released Ryall, who, bombing forward from his new home at right back, squared to the new signing Despotovic. The Serbian slotted home with nearly 94 minutes on the clock to send Sydney FC into equal third.

Melbourne Victory 3-0 Adelaide United
Melbourne Victory showed their class, winning 3-0 at home to Adelaide United despite losing Adrian Leijer, who was given a second yellow card in the shadows of half time. Victory was already 1-0 up thanks to Kosta Barbarouses-s 14th minute goal but the true turning point came in the 65th minute, when Nathan Coe saved a penalty. Pablo Contreras brought down Jeronimo Neumann in the area, but when Cirio thrashed his penalty to Coe-s the right, the giant ‘keeper sprung to make an excellent save.

Coe was outstanding all match and his save set the tone for the remainder of the match, as Victory scored their second just minutes later. Barbarouses was provider this time, teeing up Archie Thompson for a tap¬-in. Victory put the game to bed when Nicholls raced on to a long kick from Coe and prodded home his first goal since his move from Brisbane Roar. The win moves Victory up to fifth but the Josep Gombau project at Adelaide is not yet reaping its rewards, as they sit third from bottom.

Perth Glory 1-2 Central Coast Mariners
Perth Glory went down in a tight affair, conceding a late goal to the Mariners- Mitchell Duke. It was a bitter pill to swallow for Glory, who lost their marquee defender William Gallas, to a calf injury after about half an hour. Later on in the match, they lost Scott Jamieson to a season ending Achilles tear, and having used all three substitutions, had to play out the match with ten men.

Prior to the injury dramas, Perth had taken the lead thanks to a nice goal from Jamie Maclaren. Jamieson-s assist was a stark indication of what Glory will miss for the remainder of the season, as he sent in a nice ball from the left. Gallas went off injured soon after and within two minutes of that, Central Coast equalised. It was a crisp finish from Michael McGlinchey, who slotted home from the edge of the area. Glory battled hard after Jamieson-s terrible injury, but they were undone in stoppage time when Josh Rose-s cross found Duke, who volleyed home with aplomb.

Newcastle Jets 3-1 Melbourne Heart
Can anybody stop Adam Taggart? That is the question on the lips of A-League coaches and fans alike after the young striker scored a fantastic hat-trick against Melbourne Heart. Newcastle coach Gary Van Egmond kept Emile Heskey on the bench and, even when fully fit, he will have to do plenty to displace Taggart, who is now the A-League’s top scorer. All three of his goal came from outside the area. The first was a fabulous volley and the second a curling effort into the bottom corner.

Heart can take small consolation from the fact that they scored. Andrea Migliorini lined up a free kick from 25 yard and it took a wicked deflection, which deceived Jets ‘keeper Mark Birighitti. The goal gave Heart hope that they could take at least a point from the game, but they clearly hadn’t learned their lesson when they let Taggart roam free on the edge of the area. Only four minutes had passed since Migliorini’s goal when Taggart arrowed a shot into the opposite corner of his second goal, to complete a remarkable hat-trick to take Newcastle to third and Taggart to the top of the scoring charts.