New Brisbane Roar midfielder Jacob Pepper opens up about his life away from football and how he spends his spare time in the fashion world.
Tell us a bit about your passion for fashion?
- “It’s something I got into a few years back and it’s been about a year and a half since I opened my first flagship What is Art store. It gives me an interest outside of football and keeps my mind off the game when things are a bit tough.”
Have you always had that passion?
- “I started off being the main designer but now it’s a bit too much for me so I get a few of my mates who work for some big companies to do some stuff for me. I have my brother working in the Newcastle store. He’s been a big help, at times it’s tough juggling a few things but I’ve got good support around to keep things going along.”
You’ve settled in well at the club, who are your closest mates in the squad?
- “I have to say the little car trio – blokes like Corey Brown, Daniel Bowles and Jamie Maclaren – they like to stick together and have a car pool to training happening.”
Who’s going to get tossed out of the carpool for you then?
- “I think Luke [DeVere] or Jamie [Maclaren], I am doing my best to take their spot by shouting as many coffees as possible at the moment!”
You’re playing in our #8 this season, what is your favourite number?
- “Number 8 is my favourite number actually! It’s my birthday so I’ve always played in it and it’s good to be back in it.”
What’s the best bit about Brisbane so far?
- “The weather for sure!”
- “Corey Brown. I’m only starting to get to know him but he’s very cheeky in the change rooms.”
Can you cook?
- “I can, and I’m going to have to whip a few things up for Rowlesy [young defender Kye Rowles] being my new roommate.”
What’s your kitchen speciality?
- “Chicken and veg. Just protein. I love crumbed, but a lack of time means it’s roasted.”
What’s your dream car and what are you driving at the moment?
- “Range Rover Autobiography but I’m driving a Mazda 6 at the moment. The dream’s still a long way away.”
What do you know about the Brisbane Roar?
- “If you look at the history, it’s a very successful club so I’m looking forward to putting the shirt on for the first time. I’ll give 110% for the team and the club, I can’t wait for the season to kick-off.”
Do you enjoy playing at Suncorp Stadium?
- “It depends if I’ve got my running boots on. It’s a fast pitch and it’s very hot up here but I can’t wait to make it a fortress with the boys again this season.”