Qld wrap: Olympic put SWQ Thunder to the sword


Once again, there were goals aplenty in Round 15 of NPL Queensland , with a number of high-scoring affairs entertaining fans around the Sunshine State.

Once again, there were goals aplenty in Round 15 of NPL Queensland , with a number of high-scoring affairs entertaining fans around the Sunshine State.

Redlands United returned to the winners circle for the first time since April downing Western Pride 5-1 at North Ipswich Reserve on Friday Night.

The visitors started the scoring early, after a defensive blunder gifted Graham Fyfe a goal to take the lead inside the first minute.

Kwang Lim drew level for the home side in the 7th minute with a spectacular strike which left United-s goalkeeper rooted to the spot.

Redlands regained the lead with an emphatic strike from Micheal Lee in the 13th minute half volleying over the Pride-s goalkeeper.

United made Pride pay for another lapse in defence in the 29th minute, when Jayden Prasade was able to stroll the ball home to make it 3-1.

Lee was allowed to turn in the box to strike home in the 34th minute to take the visitors into the break 4-1.

Lee secured his hat-trick in the 82nd minute to take the points for and secure Redlands first win in more than 2 months.

FNQFC Heat have continued their winning ways downing Brisbane Roar NYL 5-2 at a rainy Perry Park on Saturday Night.

Both sides took their time to adjust to the conditions, with Roar eventually getting into the groove, scoring twice in three minutes.

Goals to Mitch Hore in the 21st and Yandi Munawar two minutes later where cancelled out by Heat attackers Tom Murphy and Mqondisi Nkiwane who had evened the ledger by the 34th minute.

Heat started to build momentum finally breaking the home side down allowing Jamie Carroll to slot the ball home and take the lead two minutes from the interval.

As the second half eased into a rhythm, luck seemed to go against Roar as a Heat corner found a defender to deflect the ball home in the 65th minute.

Heat midfielder Alex Smith pounced on the good fortune sealing the victory and the points two minutes later.

The Win is FNQFC-s sixth in a row and takes them above Roar on the ladder.

Harimau Muda ‘A- have taken a share of the points after a thrilling late comeback helped them to snatch a draw against second placed Moreton Bay Jets 3-3 at Wolter Park on Saturday Night.

The visitors started the game looking to sneak a goal on the counter attack, and it took until the 44th minute for Golden Boot leader Royce Brownlie to breach their deep defences getting onto the end of a Ryota Nakaooka cross.

Harimau Muda was able to get back to level pegging in the 58th minute when Adam Nor Azlin beat the defence before Brownlie struck again two minutes later, cleaning up inside the box.

The Malaysian outfit level once again three minutes later through Mohamad Fandi Othman when he was found unmarked from a cross, before the home side regained the leader for the third time from a Jared Austin header in the 71st minute.

Moreton Bay were unable to hold onto the lead as Satish Krishinan struck the back of the net in the 88th minute to tie the game and share the points.

A first half goal to Keenan Duimpies was all that separated Brisbane Strikers in their 1-0 win over traditional rivals Sunshine Coast Fire on Sunday at Stockland Stadium.

Both sides shared chances in early encounters before Matt Thurtell was adjudged to have been fouled inside the box in the 22nd minute, Duimpies took his side into the lead from the resulting penalty.

While both sides had chances throughout the game, neither were able to capitalise. The win moves Strikers into third spot while Fire is stranded back in tenth position.

Northern Fury has suffered their fifth straight defeat on the trot at the hands of Brisbane City in their 1-0 defeat at Townsville Sports Reserve on Saturday.

Both sides tussled for ascendancy throughout the first half, with the majority of chances going the way of the visitors.

Brisbane City took the lead when a long ball from Luca Perico found the unmarked Nick Buckley who was able to stroke the ball past the out of position goalkeeper Matt Symes.

The home side created the better chances of the two sides but were unable to prosper, the win moves Brisbane City up into eighth spot while Fury are stuck back in tenth.

Olympic have put SWQ Thunder to the sword in a dominate second half display, beating the struggling cellar-dwellers 5-0 at Goodwin Park on Saturday night.

Olympic striker Reuban Way got proceedings underway quickly, finding the back of the net after nine minutes, but Thunder we able to weather the storm to go into the break a goal down.

The second half saw Olympic get into the goal scoring mood, Reuban Way doubling his tally in the 60th minute before Tim Smits chimed in six minutes later.

Debutant Dylan Wenzel-Halls made an impact in his first game hitting the back of the net in the 82nd minute before Way chalked up his hat-trick to seal the win three minutes later.

Top of the Table Palm Beach Sharks had the bye ahead of their Round 16 clash with Olympic.

Image courtesy of Emily Wilson