Glory hold off Jets

The Perth Glory have edged out 10-man Newcastle 2-1 in their National Youth League clash at Members Equity Stadium on Sunday.

The Perth Glory have edged out 10-man Newcastle 2-1 in their National Youth League clash at Members Equity Stadium on Sunday.

In warm and sticky conditions, Reece Vittiglia opened the scoring for Perth 10 minutes after the break, rifling the ball home in the 55th minute before James Virgili levelled three minutes later.

But the Glory secured their third win of the season through an Anthony Skorich penalty 13 minutes from time after Jets skipper Taylor Regan handled in the area, receiving a a second yellow card for his efforts.

Both sides played out a scoreless but competitive first half, where the Glory just managed to shade the Jets in possession and attacking chances.

Newcastle appeared quicker to settle, Jesper Hakansson sending a rasping drive over the bar in the 10th minute.

But the Glory gradually assumed control of possession and started mounting several attacks of their own, skipper Andrija Jukic sending a snap shot wide of the left upright in the 28th minute after receiving a ball that pinged rapidly around the penalty area.

Ryan Pearson missed a good chance three minutes later while striker Eli Babalj, a late call-up for the hosts, sent a powerful header over the bar eight minutes before the break after receiving a curling cross from Hayden Doyle on the right.

On the stroke of half-time the Glory missed a good chance to open the scoring when Jets’ stopper Jordan Griffiths failed to grasp a free kick from Mark Lee, leading to a furious scramble and a handball just outside the area by the Jets. But Griffiths atoned for his error, turning Vittiglia’s free kick around the upright.

Two minutes after the re-start Jets forward Bradie Mooy saw his snap shot saved by Glory stopper Dejan Aleksic before Hakansson sent a powerful half volley over the bar in the 54th minute.

But from their next attack, the Glory took the lead with Pearson doing well to hold the ball up in attack and lay it off for Vittiglia to run on and smash a stinging shot below the keeper.

The hosts only led for three minutes before the Jets equalised, James Virgili running onto a great through ball through the middle, accelerating into space and lobbing the ball over Aleksic.

Newcastle’s Joel Witherdin missed a good chance to take the lead when he nodded over the bar in the 67th minute from Regan’s corner, but Regan only lasted another 10 minutes on the pitch before being receiving his second yellow for a deliberate handball in the area.

Referee Troy Miller pointed to the spot and second half substitute Skorich blasted the ball home confidently for his first goal of the National Youth League season, securing the points for the hosts.

Match Details

Perth Glory 2 (Reece Vittiglia 55, Anthony Skorich 77pen)
Newcastle Jets 1 (James Virgili 58)

Members Equity Stadium, Perth
Sunday, 9 November 2008
Referee: Troy Miller

Perth Glory line-up: 1.Dejan ALEKSIC (gk) (40.Alex PEARSON (gk) 56-), 2.Ryan PEARSON, 3.Scott NEVILLE, 4.Liam HARVEY (15.Lewis HALL 54-), 5.Hayden DOYLE, 6.Dean EVANS, 10.Adam LUCA (7.James SAMMUT 54-), 13.Andrija JUKIC, 12.Reece VITTIGLIA,18.Mark LEE (OA), 19.Eli BABAJI (9.Anthony SKORICH 52-)

Yellow Cards: Scott Neville 38-, Dean Evans 59-, James Sammut 69
Red Cards: Nil

Newcastle Jets line-up: 1.Jordan GRIFFITHS (gk), 2.Antun KOVACIC (OA), 3.Jarrad ROSS, 4.George STROGYLOS (14.Joel WITHERDIN 56-), 5.Jon GRIFFITHS (15.Ivan PAVLAK 50-), 6.Taylor REGAN (c), 7.Adrian KARAKOLEVSKI (12.Simon MOONEY 54-), 8.Matt HARPER, 9.Brodie MOOY, 10.Jesper HAKANSSON, 11.James VIRGILLI

Yellow Cards: Jon Griffiths 19-, Taylor Regan 25-/75-, George Strogylos 27-, Jarrad Ross 44-
Red Cards: Taylor Regan 75-